Skip to main content

Being a Military Child


Not everyone understands what being a Military kid is like. It is amazing and sad at the same time. I have lived in several states, been on more flights than I can count and gotten to see places people dream of vacationing. I have also had to say good bye to so many people, but  the adventure never ends. 


All of this is why the round that Mandi over at Fabriculous made a reality is so important to me. I came to her with an idea for a small off shoot, a panel and something to go with it and she made it into a 3 color way, 2 panel option, blanket topper, mind blowing round! It is something featured on her business page, something I am seeing people rallying around and finding as beautiful as I do. Its truly a humbling and incredible feeling. 


Not everyone understood the main color choices, which were requested by me, and she did add another color way for those not feeling the purple but I wanted to take a quick moment and explain why purple. Purple wasn't chosen lightly and if you know anyone in the Military that works with other branches they will tell you its the color they use too 😁 Purple symbolizes all the branches of the Military, it is a combination of Army green, Coast Guard blue, Air Force blue, Marine red, and Navy blue. This is why purple is the chosen color, and while April is the month picked to recognize Military children, we don't stop being Military kids May 1st. Wearing purple and being proud of who we are is 365 💜


The dandelion, that is one of the most beautiful reasons and has me totally rethinking them! So many say its a weed! Why would they pick a weed?! Well a friend worded it so perfectly that I admit I totally stole this from him;
 "flowers are beautiful but delicate things that only grow under near-perfect conditions, wither and die shortly after, and can't withstand the harsh nature of the world; hardly what you would want to be. Weeds on the other hand, are nature's survivors...they make the best out of whatever situation they are in, and not only do they grow, they thrive; no matter what life throws at them, they always find a way to persevere. Sounds much better, right?' 
Now he was talking about something else but that is the most amazing and perfect way of explaining why the dandelion that I asked to use it 😀 Thank you Jeffrey Ross. 


I am a Military child and because of that this month is a very big deal for me, I have a small business and wanted to give back this month to other Military kids like me. I researched and found what I think is an incredible group of people Our Military Kids. Mandi talked with me about if I had any ideas for an organization she could donate the profits from this round to as well, and I am so excited that she choose them too, I gave her a few suggestions I had found while researching. 
Our Military Kids provides substantial support in the form of grants to the children of deployed National Guard and Military Reserve personnel, as well as to the children of Wounded Warriors in all branches. The grants pay for participation in activities (sports, fine arts, camps) and tutoring programs that nurture and sustain children while a parent is away in service to our country or recovering from injury. 
There are many incredible programs you could donate to but this one just touched me personally, having a parent deployed or injured is life changing and unless you live through it no words can express the emotions you experience. Something that seems so basic and everyday like dance or karate takes on a new meaning of normalcy and joy. Watching them receive their grants is wonderfully moving, I always end up crying. 


I again would like to thank Mandi, for being so supportive and running with an idea from a kid, taking a chance that maybe this would be something or maybe not. To her incredible strike team that was so encouraging and supportive of my idea and pictures I was sharing with them. Everyone on her page that has ordered or showed loved and support. I do not think I can ever truly express what all of that has meant to me. This has been an experience that I will never forget, seeing your vision for something come to life and take off in a way you only dreamed of,... THANK YOU! 


EMAIL    WEBSITE     FACEBOOK     INSTAGRAM


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Month of the Military Child GIVEAWAY!!!

This month I decided to create a little gift collection of sorts that you can win by sharing the pinned giveaway post on my Facebook page and commenting on it. Super easy to enter, but a great package I think. I am going to go into a bit more detail below with each of the 4 items in the package. This is the bear, you will be able to choose from the fabric swatches below which you would like it made out of. No two bears will be exactly alike because of the fabric that is being used, some from actual uniforms, and some that is just printed, because of the design there will be some differences. (These bears are listed on the website for sale as well if you wanted to order others) Next we have a super soft toddler/lap size blanket, you can choose either purple, blue, or black. The saying is the same on all 3, 'I am resilient, I am resolute, I am relentless, I am a Military Child', all of them are the same color on the back with tossed dandelions, the official flower of the Militar

Cute Bears of the Military - Army Edition

This request came in while I was working on my April Month of the Military Child plans. The timing was perfect! If you have been following me for long you know that I am a Military brat and that April is a special month for me. It is the month of the Military Child and I try to do some fun things through the month and all sales for the month in the past have been donated to  Our Military Kids . This year I have some new ideas and plans, more about that later though 😁 I decided this would be a great time to do a step by step style blog post about the creation of these amazing bears. These bears are made from the uniforms of your loved one, they can be made from other articles of clothing as well of course.  These 3 were made from one uniform, top and pants, that I took about 5 hours to take apart, all of the pockets, zippers, patches, velcro has to come off to make the fabric as flat as possible and get the most useable space. There are a lot of pieces, and no two will look exactly ali

Graduation Gown Turned Dress

Hey y’all! As some of you may know or remember I graduated back in May and I got to keep my gown along with my cap, since I’m homeschooled.  Now the next person in my family to graduate still has a couple years to go, and he will probably need a size or two up to accommodate for height so I turned my gown into a dress!  I got to work a week or so after I graduated and started sketching what I wanted to turn my gown into. Should I do separates? Should I do a dress? What style of dress?  Ultimately I decided upon this amazing dress, now I did have to adjust the skirt because my initial sketch had a long maxi style dress but I simply adore the shorter skirt.  And that back is stunning! The whole dress with the exception of the ribbon for the straps, came from the gown.  Had to take a couple pictures with my cap, so happy I had all my friends sign it!  Now this next picture has a bit of a story behind it:  So the day I took pics of my dress, I took my black belt pictures as well. While we